Wednesday 16 January 2013

Let's Do Cafe, Fore Street

-->
Visited 12th December 2012, at lunchtime.


Let's Do is what you'd expect from a cafe. A greasy spoon if you will, but a five star one at that. Reasonably priced, simple and quick food on a plate, smothered in your choice of sauce, with a cup of tea to wash it all down. Cakes if you please, and free wifi if you want to take your mind off them.



As usual, we order the breakfast. Death on a plate for him, and the large veggie to satisfy my eyes (which are, as usual, bigger than my stomach).  There's lots of choice, but limited for vegans.  In summary the menu consists of fried stuff, jacket potatoes (beans are the only vegan choice), or baguettes (probably not worth considering if you don't want some form of cheese).

After a couple of visits, you notice that the place does get very busy over lunch-time, and the musical ambience leaves a little to be desired. Luckily, the free wifi will keep you distracted from your gurgling stomach. Though there is the usual faint scent of cooking flesh which we are all probably used to by now, it's not an unpleasant location to sit and watch the world pass by.

The vegetarian breakfast consists of beans, mushrooms, toast, hash browns, fried tomatoes and veggie sausages. (Default option is with fried eggs but these can easily be exchanged for an extra sausage or scoop of beans).  As any seasoned vegan should know, Linda McCartney are the best dairy-free sausages you can get without making your own, and that's the level of quality you get here.  Despite the obvious demand for food at 1pm on a Wednesday afternoon, it's served hot, greasy-but-not-cardiac, and fulfilling. Almost the perfect hangover or missed-meal antidote. The only gripe would be that I didn't check whether my veggie special was cooked on the same hot plate as the black pudding- I'd like to say it's a rookie mistake, but admittedly it's something I've chosen to avoid asking in fear of leaving with an empty belly.

I'll continue to visit Let's Do for all my hangover needs and for a nice chat with the friendly cook. They also have a selection of homemade cakes which are great for an afternoon sugar rush, but it's probably safe to say that all contain milk, eggs or butter.



I won't be scoring any of the places I visit as an experience is individual to everyone. Rather, I'd like to hear your opinion of the places I talk about, and those I'm yet to enjoy.

Here's to the next meal!

No comments:

Post a Comment